Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Feeding my babies

So, my oldest is two(almost), and when I had her I was completely oblivious to what being a mommy entailed. I read blogs, articles, listened to advice from family and friends, but it is completely different when you are actually a mom. Any of the advice you get or read about is REALLY hard to remember when you are completely sleep deprived. For some reason I didn't believe anyone when they told me I would be sleep deprived. It was bad, really bad. That sweet girl wouldn't sleep for more than two hours at a time EVER. It was hard, really hard, but I/we got through it. Anyways, probably the most difficult thing for me was breastfeeding. I didn't want to give up on it because formula is expensive, I knew breastfeeding is what was best for my baby, and I had the ability to do it. The lactation consultant in the hospital came in a few times and tried to help me when I would call them in. They said my latch was great and every thing looked perfect. They also told me I could only feed her every two hours for 20 minutes on each side. Not knowing any better, that's what I did. I crackled, bled, bruised, cried, and repeated A LOT! I think that's why she and I had so many problems.

On a visit to California to see my parents, before they became our neighbors, I met a girl who helped me tremendously, by that point little was a month old and I had finally gotten the hang of the whole breastfeeding thing. She was so encouraging and told me about a program where I could become a lactation educator counselor and help other people in their journey through breastfeeding. My hubs and I talked about it, and we decided that I should do it. I did, and it has changed everything for me. I now teach breastfeeding classes and counsel clients individually. If you are looking for a breastfeeding class, I can do them via the internet, and I can counsel over the phone, or if you are in Arizona I can come to you. I don't want anyone to go through what I went through with breastfeeding. So, if I can help make your journey easier I would love to help!

I am grateful that I stuck with it! I am grateful for the knowledge I have gained from a tough experience. I am grateful for breastfeeding. I LOVE it! It is definitely a bonding experience for me and my babies, let alone all of the health benefits to me and my cuties. It is truly a blessing in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment