Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fast and Easy Caramel Corn


Anyone who knows my husband knows that popcorn in a main staple of his diet. He’s not much of a sweets person. Crazy, since I can’t live without my sweets.  Well, while we were on our two month escapade in California my mom made him caramel corn several times and he LOVED it. It was something she made for us, her cute little children, often when we were kids. Generally in fall because what goes better with fall than caramel corn. 
Ok, maybe anything pumpkin, but caramel corn is a close second. I tried to find a good recipe like my mom’s, but they all took forever to make. I know, I know, all good things come to those that wait, but I have a very active baby that rolls around the room in no time flat so I’d prefer to not have to cook the caramel corn for an hour and having to stir it every 15 minutes. So, I finally broke down and called my mom for the recipe. Best idea I have had all week! It had the entire thing done in 15 minutes and we were onto eating caramel corn and watching Hocus Pocus. Beware! It is VERY addicting! Half of it is already gone.
Here is what you’ll need:
6 quarts of popped popcorn
½ cup butter
¼ cup light corn syrup
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
Pam Cooking Spray (I haven’t used cooking spray in a long time so I use olive oil)
Big Brown paper bag
1.5 quart glass bowl
Two large cookie sheets

Spray the inside of the brown paper bag with your cooking spray. (I just poured some olive oil in the bottom of the bag and made sure to spread it up the sides of the bag, about half way) Put your popped popcorn in the bag and set aside for a minute. Put the butter, light corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt in the glass bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir well. Microwave for 2 more minutes. Remove and add baking soda and stir really well. Now pour the mixture on top of the popcorn. Fold the top of the bag over on itself and shake the bag A LOT to try to get all of the popcorn coated. Put the popcorn in the microwave, bag and all , and microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Remove the bag from the microwave and shake well. Microwave for another 1 ½ minutes and then remove and shake well. Microwave for 45 seconds. Remove and pour popcorn onto 2 large cookie sheets to cool. 

Mine is always cool enough by the time I get it all poured out to touch it. Make sure to try to break all of the pieces apart as soon as it is cool enough for you to touch. Then enjoy! If you happen to have any leftovers, make sure to store them in an air tight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment