Tuesday, February 10, 2015

I love me some donuts!!! Bacon Maple Donuts



Over Christmas Break my husband and I went out to California to visit family. While we were out there my sister and I got together and played for a day. She gets me into TONS of trouble! When we were on our way back to her house she insisted that we stop by a gourmet doughnut shop in Newport Beach called Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee. http://www.sidecardoughnuts.com/ Oh my goodness!!! My world was changed. Ask any of my close friends, I LOVE learning how to do new things, especially in the kitchen. I had never made doughnuts before and after trying their Maple Bacon Doughnut, I was determined to learn how to make them for myself. When I got back to Arizona, I got to work. This is what I have found for a delicious yeast light and fluffy doughnut, tips and tricks included. They are DELICIOUS!!!

Donut Recipe
4 ½ tsp Yeast, I use Saf Yeast, It’s the best! You can find it here.
1/4c warm water (105-115 degrees Fahrenheit)
1 ½ c scaled and then cooled to lukewarm whole milk (speaking from experience, it is important that it is whole milk)
½ c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 c shortening
5 c all-purpose flour
Oil for frying

Scaled the milk, and set it aside to cool.
To scaled milk: Put milk in a saucepan and put on the stove over medium heat, do not stir. Let the milk heat until it forms a film on the top. Do not bring the milk to a boil. As soon as it forms a film on the top remove from the heat.
Stir together yeast and water, and let sit for 5 minutes to proof. Make sure your milk is cool enough to add to the yeast mixture. (You don’t want it to be too hot or it can kill the yeast) When you milk is cool enough, add the milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups of flour to the yeast. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Make sure you constantly scrape down the sides of the bowl. Occasionally scrapping down the sides of the bowl beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of flour until the dough is smooth. (I like to mainly do this with my hands). Cover and put in a warm place to rise until the dough has doubled, about 1 hour. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Lightly sprinkle to coat it with flour. Gently roll the dough out with a floured rolling pin to be ½ inch thick. Cut with doughnut cutters (you can also to the cap to your oil bottle and a cup, depending on the sizes) Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 30-45 minutes. While the dough is rising heat the oil to be 350°F. After this rise, try to not touch the dough very much, they will be very fluffy. Slide the doughnuts into the hot oil with a wide spatula; I normally do 2-3 at a time. Cook for about 1 minute on each side. Turn and remove the doughnuts with a skewer or a chopstick, be careful to not puncture them with the skewer or chopstick. Drain on a plate with a cloth or paper towel. When they have cooled slightly dip in maple glaze. Right after you dip in the glaze sprinkle crumbled bacon on top so the glaze hasn’t cooled yet.

Maple Glaze
1c brown sugar
½c butter, room temp
¼ c whole milk
2c powdered sugar
2 tsp maple flavoring
In a saucepan, bring the brown sugar and butter to a boil. Add milk, and return to a boil stirring constantly(it helps it to be mixed together evenly). Remove from heat as soon as it starts to boil again, and stir in powdered sugar and flavoring. Stir until smooth. This sets VERY quickly. If it starts to set, stir. If it is too thick after it sets, put back on the stove and heat slightly and add a little milk. This can make it a little thinner than the original batch, but it tastes just as delicious.
You can get super creative with these. Next time I make them I want to make an orange glaze with candied orange peels. Then maybe some jelly feeling and a peanut butter icing. Or strawberry filling and a chocolate glaze. The possibilities are endless. I get super excited talking about doughnuts now days!!! They are delicious and SO fun to make. They take a while, but are oh so worth it!!! I hope you have just as much fun making them as I do!

P.S. Thanks for the several extra pounds sis!

What flavors do you think would be great?

What is your favorite doughnut?

What are you favorite things to cook/fry/bake/make?

No comments:

Post a Comment