Thursday, August 29, 2013

Too Many Raspberries... So I Made Jam!



We have a great produce store out here in AZ. So I got a TON of Raspberries for really cheap. I have been craving raspberry thumbprint cookies, and you need raspberry jam to make them. So instead of buying jam I made it. This is what I did.

MMMMMM!!!! Four cups of raspberry jam!
Preheated my oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Once that was done I put 4 cups of sugar in an oven safe container and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. ***Warm sugar will dissolve in the mixture easier.

While that was going I put 4 cups of raspberries in a large pot and put it on the stove on high heat. While it was heating I mashed the raspberries. I don’t have a potato masher so I just a fork, but a potato masher would work great. Anyways, then bring it to a boil and hard boil for one minute, stir it constantly (if you stir it and it doesn’t look like it’s boiling then it is not boiling hard enough). Now add the warm sugar. Bring it back to a boil and let it boil until the mixture forms a gel(it takes about 5 minutes). Dip a cold metal spoon into the fruit mixture. Pull it away from the steam. If it is a thin fruit syrup mixture then it is not ready (mmmm. Raspberry fruit syrup on pancakes sound delicious. Sorry side tracked. I must be hungry.) Once you dip a cold metal spoon in and a couple drops run together before falling then it is ready. It really is delicious too! You can use whatever amount you would like. I only used 4 cups because I really have a TON of raspberries. You just need equal parts raspberries and sugar.
Sorry! Had to throw in a picture of my princess. This is the only time I can get things done. I want a nap too.

Hope you enjoy!

What is your favorite kind of jam?
 I think it depends on the day. Right now Pineapple Apricot sounds good.

Do you have a problem with saying no to good deals on things?
I DEFINTIELY do.Hello, my name is Emily, and I can't say no to a really good deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment